Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 1 : Term 1


Well we are off to a flying start as the new school year begins. This term we've decided to do 4 unit studies in 2 week intervals. The first one is The Body.
We'll be using the lesson plan from Homeschool Share.
Why reinvent the wheel when it's all been done for you. This unit study is fantastic and totally age appropriate for the girl. We started looking at this one during the holidays and are all keen to get into it. By the end of the 2 weeks I figure I 'll have a pretty good DNA profile of the kids if nothing else. By the time we've finger printed them, pulled out a few strands of hair and taken height & weight measurements,looked at blood under the microscope, we'll have a great record.



The theme behind it is from the LDS Children's songbook #153 -The Lord Gave Me a Temple. I will be including stories from the LDS Friend magazine to tie it all together. With a 10 year old that is as girly , girly as they come it's important to tie this unit study together with, virtue, modesty, and what the Lord has to say in regard to our bodies. How it is a temple.



On to the other side of it.The girls love the Blood & Guts book that's the recommend text for this unit study. Linda Allison has done a great job of presenting all the facts in a fun, not so clinical way which appeals to Maddie who has a sensitive tummy for anything along this line. This is the same child who can't stand to see meat or chicken cut up.


We're still using Maths U See but I am adding
a few activities from Mammoth Maths.
Maddie can't understand the man in the Math U See video clips, she doesn't learn that way, so I just show her myself. Using the manipulatives does work well for us over all and the pace of Math U See is perfect for us.

At the moment we are still in the process of reviewing I See Sam readers. Something that we are really enjoying. My girls aren't into the computer, but holding a book in their hand is just their pace. I'm looking forward to writing a review for that one.

My favorite homeschool curriculum has to be anything produced by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. We love The Story of the World as our history curriculum. I supplement it with lapbooks if the subject really catches their imagination.

We also use First Language Lessons book 1 & 2 for our grammar. It has been rewritten into individual levels now with workbooks to go with it. I love the new download method available on Peace Hill Press website. I'm going to download the audio that goes with the level 1 & 2. My girls love audio. They perch themselves on a beanbag and can spend hours listening to stories. Of course a lot of our audio's come from Homeschool freebie of the Day . I love this site and we have accumulated a fantastic little library of audio and classic books that we otherwise would not have been able to access.

So we're excited to be setting off on another year of homeschooling. It is a fantastic journey.

No comments: